Project Quality Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating fuel cell systems, hydrogen storage tanks and electric motors in real world aircraft, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
The project quality engineer assures the quality of critical to customer / product work products and processes during the development phases of product development and assures quality of the operations launch.
Functionally responsible for monitoring and measuring internal quality performance and ensuring robust root cause and corrective actions are implemented for non-conformities leading to customer escapes, internal rework/rejection, and scrap. Develops process improvements and cost control programs throughout both Production and Maintenance areas. Reviews customer / industry / internal specifications to ensure compliance with stated requirements. Provides technical support to operations as needed. Communicates customer escapes and implemented corrective actions at all levels of the organisation. Effectively communicates ZeroAvia / Customer requirements and expectations to suppliers to ensure compliance.
- Provides Quality customer interface and expertise to proactively assure requirements are understood and satisfied, including assisting in complaint resolution, root cause and corrective action determination.
- Executes the development, implementation, and improvement of the appropriate
- Quality Management Systems throughout the operation, providing advanced quality planning support in the development and launch of new products, processes and services.
- Participates / Leads the auditing of internal Quality Systems and completes part approval documentation to assure that customer requirements are met in new or modified products and processes.
- Creates, develops, and analyses organisational quality metrics and performs periodic reviews to evaluate results and recommend action plans to close gaps at an operational level.
- Develops and analyses statistical data and product / process performance to recommend and implement improvements in targeted areas.
- Contributes to the design and implementation of quality assurance training programs and conducts training in quality-related topics.
- Participates in product development and launch activities including identification of customer expectations, manufacturing and test support, reliability analysis, design reviews, evaluation of test programs, material testing.
- Provides support in the way of development and evaluation of process capability, process control plans, analysis of out-of-control conditions and process audits.
- Develops, implements, and audits inspection and test plans, standards and acceptance criteria, and procedures / work instructions.
- Investigates and eliminates causes of quality problems and follows up on corrective actions.
- Detailed knowledge of industry and customer specific quality registration schemes and certification processes (i.e., ISO9001, EN/AS9100 Part-21G / Part 145 etc).
- Thorough understanding of problem-solving methods such as Six Sigma, 8D, root cause analysis, and the associated statistical tools used to analyse problems, evaluate, and complete improvement projects
- Detailed knowledge of process auditing techniques to ensure compliance to defined quality requirements.
- Sound practical experience with Excel, Word, Access etc – ability to quickly pick up business software use.
- Proven experience of ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) effectively with all levels of the organization, from production associates to the leadership team.
- Experience of working closely with others, but equally independently.
- Strong project and time management, organisational, and analytical skills.
- Degree qualified preferred, experience may be taken into consideration in lieu of education.
- Knowledge of assembly operations, gauging, SPC, and quality assurance systems (ISO 9001, AS9100).
- Audit trained (preferably Lead Auditor level)
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status