Electrical Engineer: Fuel Cell Systems
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
- System and component level design of electrical systems and components in the fuel cell system
- Work closely with system engineers to define electrical requirements (creepage & clearance, isolation systems, busbars, contactors, fuses, etc)
- Cascade requirements to component level
- Electrical design and analysis of components where needed
- Work closely with suppliers and partners for design and sourcing of COTS or bespoke components
- Support the preparation of electrical system wiring diagrams and component documentation
- Liaise with relevant teams on electrical design tasks for the fuel cell system (i.e. simulation, suppliers, testing and SW and controls, Interfacing to propulsion system)
- Develop electrical system and component specifications
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering, Mechatronics, or equivalent
- Excellent understanding in electric vehicle/powertrain system and component requirements (e-motors, hybrid systems, control systems, fuel cell systems, etc)
- Strong communication, teamwork
- Excellent communication skills
- Capable of working independently as well as part of large and small teams
- Open minded, flexible ‘can do’ and ’hands-on’ attitude
- Motivated, passionate & committed to excellence
- Inspired by a faced paced challenging environment.
- Experience in Visio
- Familiar with simulation tools (e.g GT-power, Matlab/Simulink, Simscape, SCADE)
- Experience in development and layout of PEM Fuel cell systems for mobile applications
- Experience in design, characterization, verification, and testing of fuel cell system components.
- Experience in developing fuel cell system Balance of plant (BoP) components.
- Knowledge and understanding of PEM fuel cell stack operating conditions, stack testing and characterization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements and methods for showing compliance to 14 CFR 25.1309
- Experience and Knowledge of Development Assurance and ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Proficient in requirements development for aerospace systems and hardware
- Development Assurance and experience with ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Experience and knowledge of design requirements for High Voltage systems as part of PEM fuel cell systems.
- Experience in Engineering Simulation Software (ANSYS, MATLAB-Simulink)
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.