Power Electronics Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
The successful Power Electronics Engineer will join the Propulsion team responsible for design, integration and maintenance of electronics and software for aircraft propulsion and power generation systems. This multi-disciplined team covers all aspects including power electronics, digital & analog design, digital & RF communications. You will be involved in defining electrical system architecture against requirements and technical capabilities. You will work within all areas of electronics design development, part definition and generation, schematic entry, PCB layout, embedded code generation, development testing/debugging and verification.
The successful engineer will be confident in a multidisciplinary capacity focused on power electronics and electronics hardware design. You'll also have a good appreciation for EMC & EMI design mitigations and test methodologies and the ability to use CAD tools such as Altium for schematic and layout generation.
Excellent communication skills are essential.
- Design and validate gate driver circuit board solutions for SiC and IGBT power switches/modules.
- Evaluation and assessment of the gate drivers available in the market.
- Design SiC and IGBT gate drive and protection solutions (such as desaturation detection) with high immunity against EMI susceptibility.
- Design of gate drive power supply including magnetic, electrical and mechanical design of the DC-DC converter transformer with low parasitic capacitance.
- Build double pulse testing platforms for gate drive board evaluation against voltage and temperature.
- Design highly integrated multilayer circuits with high speed communication to operate within harsh environments and EMI.
- Maintain products across their functional lifecycle.
- Electronics circuit schematic and PCB layout analysis to support design and verification.
- Electronics module commissioning, testing including circuit card reworking to support system and aircraft integration.
- Execute and support verification tests to verify requirements.
- Own/support authoring, review and release of technical documentation.
Experience and Qualifications
- Experience and familiarity with : DO-160, IEC 60068, MIL-STD-810, IEC 60945, MIL-STD-461, DO-254.
- Experience with validation and testing of high switching frequency gate driver board for Silicon Carbide power switches.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: Orcad, Allegro, PADS, Altium, DX Designer, Mathcad, LT Spice, Jama
- Understanding of requirement and functionality capture at design level.
- Experience in: Embedded C, C++, Java, Python, MATLAB/ Simulink.
- Working experience in DSP, FPGA, micro controllers and ASICs
- Working with high power DC/AC inverters with voltages up to 800Vdc
- Experience with design to meet EMI requirements for EDU components: Conduct and radiated emission (MIL STD or DO160G)
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.