Mechanical Design Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Our focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on tightly integrating H2 Fuel Cell power systems and storage, along with electric drivetrain components, to deliver a unified solution that is both environmentally friendly and economically superior to traditional aircraft drivetrain solutions.
Create and manage Aerospace engineering CAD designs, models, assemblies, drawings, and other assets, in close collaboration with engineering staff. Expert knowledge of NX and/or Solidworks required. Maintain assets in PDM and PLM systems in accordance with regulatory requirements. Experience with TeamCenter Unified Architecture and TeamCenter Engineering PLM System a plus.
Must have mechanical engineering experience and ability to work independently. Experience with complex components and assemblies. Manage CAD data files and architecture. Experience with simulation tools for mechanical, thermal, and fluid flow analysis. Proficient at creating mechanical engineering drawings. Experience with Aircraft and Automotive drivetrain systems a plus. Knowledge of FAA, EASA, CASA regulatory structures, rules, and regulations a plus.
- Complete ownership of all CAD design and data
- Creates 3D CAD models of complex parts and assemblies
- Performs simulation and analysis as required
- Prepares production drawings conforming to all applicable regulatory standards
- Applies knowledge of materials, finishes, welding, and other manufacturing processes to drawings
- Participates in design reviews
- Works closely with engineers and manufacturing personnel to ensure that all aspects of the design are understood
- Serves as liaison with operations during fabrication of parts to ensure that all design issues are resolved and drawings are updated
- Performs tolerance analysis on mating parts to insure proper fit. Applies knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing to designs
- Technically directs work and checks drawings of lower level draughters. Provides expertise in CAD software for specific problem solving on a project
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals/deadlines
Experience and qualifications
Education: Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and five years of related technical experience as engineering designer or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extreme proficiency in NX CAD System and/or Solidworks
- Experience with TeamCenter Unified Architecture and TeamCenter Engineering PLM System
- Experience with NX FEM and/or Solidworks Simulation
- Experience in the creation of complex aerospace 3D CAD and mechanical engineering drawings
- Deep and related Aerospace industry experience
- Have the ability to assimilate technology and technical details quickly and communicate the requirements clearly to ZeroAvia colleagues and customers alike.
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (additional languages a plus).
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a small team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as good written and oral communication skills.
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.