Lead Manufacturing Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
The Lead Manufacturing Engineer reports to the Production Manager and will be part of the team working toward the creation of the manufacturing infrastructure to mass produce ZeroAvia’s first zero emissions hydrogen-electric powertrain commercially. You will be responsible for defining the early-stage manufacturing processes and procedures, and ultimately implementing them within the future manufacturing facility. In addition, you will be responsible for ensuring all manufacturing processes and procedures support the achievement of AS9100 and a Production Organisation Approval (POA). You will also ensure best practise with regards to Lean Manufacturing, Zero Defect Manufacturing (ZDM) and the utilisation of AS9145.
- Define the early-stage manufacturing requirements and develop through to design maturity
- Develop, document, and optimise manufacturing processes
- Lead Assembly Process Engineering activities
- Develop initial and continued integration of Lean, Zero-Defect, and continuous improvement philosophies into the manufacturing model
- Influence best practise for Design for Manufacture (DFM)
- Develop AS9145 APQP & PPAP processes and documentation
- Ensure all manufacturing engineering activities meet aerospace production standards and requirements
- Ensure Safety, Quality, COGS reduction and delivery requirements are at the forefront of all manufacturing engineering decisions
- HNC / HND level in a related Engineering discipline
- Significant experience of manufacturing engineering within AS9100 organisation
- Significant experience in large volume electric-powertrain manufacture & assembly
- Significant experience of Lean Manufacturing Methodology & Zero-Defect Manufacturing (ZDM)
- Strong organisational, project management and communication skills
- Proficient user of Microsoft office suite
- Experience of early-stage aerospace manufacturing industrialisation
- Flexible approach to work and a high level of drive and ambition to help achieve the organisations goals
- Motivated to build a manufacturing facility from the ground up
- A genuine passion for clean technology and a future of electric aviation
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status