Hydrogen Aircraft Fuel System Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating fuel cell systems, hydrogen storage tanks and electric motors in real world aircraft, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and analysis of Hydrogen storage and distribution systems onboard zero emission aircraft.
- Work closely with suppliers and partners to ensure development and on-time delivery of specified tank and related fuel system components.
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the requirements and methods for showing compliance to certification standards.
- Hydrogen fuel system layout, component placement and packaging design.
- Functional and safety analysis of the different fuel system architectures.
- Analyze, verify, and validate performance of hardware and software components (where applicable) in a hydrogen fuel system in aerospace applications.
- Support the development of validation and verification plans of the fuel system for regulatory compliance (DO-160, DO-178, DO-254, and EASA/CAA).
- Support the execution of developed validation and verification plans.
- Develop and maintain P&IDs, drawings, diagrams and Interface Control Documents (ICDs) for hydrogen fuel system components and subsystems
- Support planning and execution of air-vehicle-level integration and tests.
- Translate system level requirements into hardware designs that meet or exceed requirements
- Planning and execution of verification testing.
- Testing data analysis and reporting.
- Initiating corrective actions based on test results.
- Work on trade studies and interface definitions.
- Exercise critical thinking and innovative problem solving
- Support new business pursuits including white papers, proposals, invention memos and simulations
Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge of design and practical experience in using compressed gas systems (i.e. industrial compressed gasses, like oxygen, nitrogen,etc)
- Basic understanding of fuel cells and hydrogen.
- Basic understanding of fuel cell systems and their major components.
- Accredited Mechanical, Electrical or Mechatronics qualification.
- Knowledge in fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and gas dynamics.
- Basic knowledge of layout and requirements for hydrogen storage systems for Fuel Cell vehicles.
- Working knowledge in developing/applying system safety analysis methods such as System Safety Risk Assessments, Fault-tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA) Safety Assessment Report (SAR) Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMEA/FMECA).
- Knowledge of design and safety requirements for compressed gas systems.
- Experience in using CAD design software (Solidworks)
- Cryogenics knowledge and or experience, especially in liquid hydrogen
- Experience in development and layout of hydrogen storage and supply systems for fuel cell vehicles or other mobile applications (fuel cell buses, fuel cell trucks, aircraft, ships, etc)
- Experience in specifying, verification and testing of gaseous compressed hydrogen fuel system components.
- Knowledge and experience in specifying subsystems and components in cryogenic liquid hydrogen fuel storage and supply systems.
- Experience and Knowledge of Development Assurance and ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Proficient in requirements development for aerospace systems and hardware
- Experience in Engineering Simulation Software (ANSYS, MATLAB Simulink, Python)
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status