Structure Motor Design Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
- Detailed analysis of motor structure including shaft, bearing, housing , mounting point, gearbox
- Detailed fatigue and damage tolerance analysis of motor structures within the propulsion system and airframe structure
- Supporting configuration development and trade studies
- Improving analysis capabilities such as creating process automation tools for model creation, strength checks, and analysis report generation
- Collaborating with designers structural analysts in structural analysis best practices
- Identification of opportunities for safety improvements and operational cost savings
- Interface with technical leaders across the company on a broad array of structural analysis topics to implement analysis methods, requirements, and policy
- Maintain and report on activity schedule, budget and technical status
- Review and support certification activities, including but not limited to:
- Creating, reviewing and supporting approval of ground test procedures, flight test procedures and their corresponding test reports.
- Supporting Component Drawing Reviews applied to propulsion system and motor
- Supporting Possess Awareness of Component Qualification Test Plans, Qualification Test Procedures and Qualification Test Reports.
- Completing motor assembly and installation drawing reviews.
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience on mechanical structure design applied to electric motor
- Experience in finite element modeling and analyses codes.
- Experience and knowledge of engine static strength analysis methods, finite element analysis, and strain life fatigue methods
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair practices used in the aerospace industry
- Proficiency on load and fatigue analysis applied for Propulsion system and mainly to electric motor, shaft, gear box, bearing
- Experience in stress analysis of metallic structure/frame
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with structural analysis methods and repair principles (fatigue and corrosion, stress analysis, statics, materials strength, material characteristics, repair techniques, damage tolerance methods used in maintenance programs)
- Experience in MatLab/Simulink
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company in the aviation industry, we need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity.