Senior Stress Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Our focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on tightly integrating H2 Fuel Cell power systems and storage, along with electric drivetrain components, to deliver a unified solution that is both environmentally friendly and economically superior to traditional aircraft drivetrain solutions.
Main individual responsibilities
- Lead Team of internal stress engineers and external contractors with complete ownership of powertrain and fuel storage structural integration into existing airframe.
- Define, scope and estimate stress analysis work packages.
- Manage internal and external resources to hit project timescales and budget.
- Scrutinise supplier proposals and deliverables for commercial competitiveness and technical integrity.
- Devise stress strategy to meet high level project requirements taking timescales and other constraints into account.
- Approve Technical Drawings from a Stress point of view and Stress Documentation through delegated authority from the Head of Design and Head of Airworthiness.
- Perform simulation and analysis of powertrain structural integrations, including motor, and H2 fuel tank mounting.
- Produce detailed stress dossiers to communicate analysis results to the satisfaction of airworthiness authorities
- Perform hand calculations where required to guide design and aid problem solving
- Apply knowledge of materials, finishes, welding, and other manufacturing processes.
- Participate in design reviews to guide design for successful analysis.
- Work closely with engineers and manufacturing personnel to ensure that all aspects of the design are understood.
- Perform tolerance analysis on mating parts to ensure proper fit. Apply knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing to designs.
- Provide expertise in CAD and Simulation software for specific problem solving on a project.
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals/deadlines.
Experience and qualifications
Education: Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and commensurate depth of related technical experience as engineering designer / stress engineer or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience leading a team of analysts, internal and subcontract
- Commercially strong and demonstrated ability to drive teams to deliver against challenging deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to solve technical and resource problems
- Proficiency in ANSYS analysis packages
- Proficiency in NX CAD System and/or Solidworks.
- Experience with TeamCenter Unified Architecture and TeamCenter Engineering PLM System.
- Experience with NX FEM and/or Solidworks Simulation.
- Experience in the creation of complex aerospace 3D CAD and mechanical engineering drawings.
- Commensurate depth of related Aerospace industry experience.
- Substantial experience gained from working in a first tier Part-21 J organisation especially in Aircraft modifications a significant plus
- Ability to assimilate technology and technical details quickly and communicate the requirements clearly to ZeroAvia colleagues, suppliers and customers.
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (additional languages a plus).
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a small team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as good written and oral communication skills.
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.