Contract Corporate Legal Counsel
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member of the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
We are seeking to hire a Corporate Legal Counsel. Reporting to the Vice President of Legal, you will be responsible for leading the negotiation, execution, and management of Company contracts, collaborating with cross-functional business partners to drive strategic initiatives and working on legal matters in other areas based on your experience and interests.
This position will be remote with occasional travel.
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts, including supplier, customer, manufacturing, distribution, non-disclosure, professional services, consulting, joint development, and licensing contracts for domestic and international partnerships.
- Serve as a strategic partner to cross-functional business partners and provide practical legal advice to support the Company's various business goals and objectives.
- Assist in drafting, managing, and auditing compliance with Company policies and procedures, including those related to data privacy, supplier management, code of conduct, employment matters, and records management.
- Proactively identify, develop, and drive strategic projects aimed at improving the efficiency of legal services and proactive risk management, including through new templates, training, and processes.
- Understand the Company’s business, supply chain, products, technology, markets, customers, and competitors to assist the Company in meeting its overall business goals in a legal, compliant, practical, safe, and responsible manner.
- Partner and advise on issues related to the Company’s compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations and monitor changes that may impact the Company’s business and operations.
- Perform any other duties as requested by management.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Must have a Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and be a member, in good standing, of the bar of any state.
- Minimum of 5 years of combined experience practicing in general corporate law and commercial transactions at an in-house legal department or a large law firm.
- Experience working in the aviation/aerospace industry preferred.
- Must have the ability to analyze complex legal issues and provide recommendations for practical solutions and alternatives.
- Must have a business focus that balances the needs of the Company for growth while ensuring contractual terms and conditions protect the Company and minimize risk.
- Must have a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for taking on a wide range of projects and responsibilities.
- Must be proactive, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize while handling multiple tasks.
- Must have exceptional communication and writing skills and be comfortable presenting to external and internal audiences.
- Must be adept in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide range of contracts.
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.