ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Our focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on tightly integrating H2 Fuel Cell power systems and storage, along with electric drivetrain components, to deliver a unified solution that is both environmentally friendly and economically superior to traditional aircraft drivetrain solutions.
Work on all aspects of structural analysis and help us optimise the aircraft and powertrain systems’ structural design. Applicants will be working with a team of aircraft design, aerodynamics, systems, powertrain and external loads disciplines to develop the structural design of the aircraft and integrated powertrain and fuel storage systems.
Job responsibilities will include the preliminary design and analysis of powertrain structural integration, including material and hardware selection, proposing solutions to achieve stress, stiffness, durability and damage tolerance requirements and weight and cost optimization. Strong experience with FEA/simulations, as well as hand calculations is required, with experience in aircraft preliminary design and working on CS-23 certified or regional aircraft programs a benefit.
Must have strong mechanical engineering experience and ability to work independently. Experience with complex components and assemblies. Proficient at creating mechanical engineering drawings. Experience with Aircraft and Automotive drivetrain systems a plus. Knowledge of FAA, EASA, CAA regulatory structures, rules, and regulations a plus.
- Complete ownership of powertrain and fuel storage structural integration into existing airframe.
- Create 3D CAD models of complex parts and assemblies.
- Perform simulation and analysis of powertrain structural integrations, including motor, and H2 fuel tank mounting.
- Apply knowledge of materials, finishes, welding, and other manufacturing processes.
- Prepare production drawings conforming to all applicable regulatory standards.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Work closely with engineers and manufacturing personnel to ensure that all aspects of the design are understood.
- Serve as liaison with operations during fabrication of parts to ensure that all design issues are resolved and drawings are updated.
- Perform tolerance analysis on mating parts to ensure proper fit. Apply knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing to designs.
- Provide expertise in CAD and Simulation software for specific problem solving on a project.
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals/deadlines.
Experience and qualifications
Education: Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and commensurate depth of related technical experience as engineering designer / stress engineer or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in NX CAD System and/or Solidworks.
- Experience with TeamCenter Unified Architecture and TeamCenter Engineering PLM System.
- Experience with NX FEM and/or Solidworks Simulation.
- Experience in the creation of complex aerospace 3D CAD and mechanical engineering drawings.
- Commensurate depth of related Aerospace industry experience.
- Have the ability to assimilate technology and technical details quickly and communicate the requirements clearly to ZeroAvia colleagues and customers alike.
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (additional languages a plus).
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a small team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as good written and oral communication skills.
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.